Life and occurences!!!

Life is a series of short stories,pretending to be a novel.

There is no paucity of humor in ones life, we just don't see it.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Flights Of Fantasy!





Scene1


Its been a while since I wrote somethin. I have to admit , I was not hard pressed for time owing to career or extracurricular interests, that would catapult my life's success any further!!!!! (Is'n that the whole irony)! Its just that, I had nothin to write about.
That pretty much explains the futile , lifeless, monotonous, aimless life that I was leading since.... well!! 31 Dec 1982...
Among the very few eventful things that happened to me lately were my long enduring flight journeys. Until I was 20, I'd never been on a flight... Since then, I have been a beneficiary of quite a few of those. Mind you, this is not to the scale where you could call me a globe trotter.... m way far from that. Since then , I have had an history of missing flights. Not cause, I slipped on my commitment to keep up time. I always have so little to do, that I get to my appointments way ahead of time, and ponder. Ponder about life and its abnormalities, about life in Iraq, about me having a blond girlfriend, about my Pontiac Grand Prix, and the numerous things on my "STILL TO ACHIEVE" list.
It was at 4.00 PM at Cleveland International airport when it was announced that there was a major thunderstorm in Chicago, and all flights bound to Chicago were grounded. My flight to Chicago was bound to depart at 6.00 PM eastern time. I am one of those people who dosen't carry a book while travelling, not even a news paper. I don't have any pending calls to make, while I am free nor carry any interest in visiting any of the duty free shops in the airport, I pod yes, I usually prefer leaving it at home (So much for mobile entertainment and me). I can just sit idle, like a mannequin. The only noticeable activity that I would be carring out during those times is to breadth. I was sitting back, in the gate and pondering. My flight to San Jose California, was from Chicago 10.00 PM Chicago time.
There was no way on earth I could miss that flight considering, I was just 90 minutes away from there. At, 7.00 PM there was a boarding call, and all of us got into the flight for a 7.30 departure. I hooked up my seat belt, and watch the air hostess do her routine. At 7.30 we were taxing along for a take off, while at the runway there came an announcement from the captain , indicating that he will be turning off one engine and has instructions not to take off , cause there was a sever backlog at the Chicago airport and International flights were slotted to land first. Considering I was flying form the most inconsequential town in the map of USA, there was no way we could be permitted to land without the passengers enduring agony.
We were at the runway for almost an hour. The strange thing about that, is that there were no other flights takin off on that runway for an hour. So much for the closest major downtown near Akron!!!!I was not too sure what i was doin in the flight. I was actually wondering about me being able to make it to my connecting flight, that was when my stomach started to grumble. The problem with the local flights in the US is that they have a never ending supply of peanuts and nothin else. Peanuts are available like they are produced in mid air and the hostess just pluck them out to feed us. Lucky, this is when the captain decided to taxi back to the gate, to drop off a couple of passengers with international connections from Chicago. My stomach was grumbling so loudly that out of sheer embarrassment I asked the air hostess if we could get off to grab a bite at the airport. She was unsure and at the exact moment the captain made an announcement for the passengers to alight the flight and find dinner at the airport. I still wonder, if he actually heard my stomach grumble..!

No comments: